Qualification - Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate and Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business Management
Unit 6 D/508/0491 - Managing a Successful Business Project (Pearson Set)
Assignment Title - Develop a Research Report on the chosen theme "GLOBALISATION"
LO1 Establish project aims, objectives and timeframes based on the chosen theme.
LO2 Conduct small-scale research, information gathering and data collection to generate knowledge to support the project.
LO3 Present the project and communicate appropriate recommendations based on meaningful conclusions drawn from the evidence findings and/or analysis.
LO4 Reflect on the value gained from conducting the project and its usefulness to support sustainable organisational performance.
ASSIGNMENT BRIEF AND GUIDANCE
Introduction to the project:
The Pearson-set theme for use with Level 4 Unit 6: Managing a Successful Business Project is; Globalisation
The OECD defines globalisation as the following:
"The geographic dispersion of industrial and service activities, for example research development, sourcing of factor inputs, production and distribution, and the cross -border networking of companies, for example through joint ventures and the sharing of assets."
The key implications of globalisation for business include:
• Increasing trade across borders of goods and services,
• increasing levels of labour migration between countries,
• The emergence of global brands,
• Greater outsourcing and offshoring of production,
• Expansion of foreign direct investment.
Globalisation has also led to increasing competition and an economic and financial shift from developing to emerging economies. It promotes a sense of cultural awareness, international cooperation and global economic inter-dependency. Those multinational companies that are successful have had to devise and customise new strategies for doing business in emerging markets and implement new business models to stay ahead of the competition.
Please respond to the given requirement below in a Research report format.
Scenario: Assessment topic: Choose an organisation or a project of your choice and address the topic as specified "What are the positive economic, cultural, and ethical impacts of globalisation on different business functions (e.g. operations, marketing, HR, accounting) for the chosen organisation."
Project to be completed based on a topic related to the theme.
• Establish your aims and objectives for the project. Outline objectives and timeframes based on the scenario set by your tutor.
• Produce an appropriate project management plan that includes relevant actions to meet objectives and timeframes.
• Conduct research to generate knowledge which will form the basis for analysis of the scenario posed in the brief.
• Analyse your findings and draw conclusions to form the basis for recommendations.
• Present and produce your project in an appropriate mariner for the intended audience.
• Communicate your recommendations in an appropriate manner for the intended audience.
• Complete a performance review that addresses the following:
- The success of the project and its usefulness in supporting organisational performance.
- Your own performance.
You should read this information before starting on your assignment. You should refer to these instructions as you complete work for this unit.
• Read the brief and think about what the project brief is asking.
• Research what the project brief is asking. How can you approach the problem, opportunity, hypothesis and requirements being posed?
• Apply a range of secondary research sources to plan/scope and support the project and its findings. Secondary research sources may include textbooks, journal articles, newspapers and magazine articles (not factual accounts).
• Develop your project plan based on the deliverables of the project, the constraints of the project and the assumptions made.
• Conduct your project according to your stated project plan and meet with your tutor to receive a sign-off at each stage of the project process.
• Primary research sources may include original first-hand accounts, legal and historical documents, results of experiments and market research data collection. Apply both qualitative and quantitative research methods to evaluate data collected from primary research.
• Keep notes of your progress throughout the project. It is important to keep a record of your work, which must be used to record the development of your ideas and your progress through the project. For example, a logbook could be used and include:
o A record of what you did, when and what you were thinking.
o A record of where things went wrong and what you did to overcome any unexpected results.
• You will be asked to reflect on the success of your project and your own performance in a personal performance review at the end of the project. This is a written reflection of around 500 words.
• Set out above are the guidelines for your project brief. You will use the set the topic for the brief based on a theme released by Pearson as instructed in the AB.
• You must complete the project in order to complete your work for this unit.
Performance Review Template
• What was the project supposed to accomplish?
• Did the project succeed in its aims? How do you know? Specifically, please outline any evaluation and assessment undertaken.
• What things do you think worked well and why? Evaluate all aspects of the project (e.g. initial inception, project activities and project outcomes) from a range of perspectives.
• What problems emerged during the project and how were they tackled? Was there timely identification of issues and resolution during the project process?
• What did you learn from undertaking the project?
• How would you rate your performance as Project Manager?
• What strengths and weaknesses of your performance did you identify?
• How will this inform and support your continuous professional development?
The required submission format for this assignment is a report format, this is listed under the assessment requirement. Your submission will be word-processed, written work with clear indication of: the unit number and title, the relevant assessment being addressed, your name and registration number.
You are expected to use external sources, and clearly reference these in your work. References should be added to the text (next to the quote or paraphrase), and also placed at the end in a references list, using Harvard Referencing style. You should complete a bibliography to support all evidence. The recommended word count for the assessment is 3000 words, but you will not be penalised for exceeding this.
Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria
LO1 Establish project aims, objectives and timeframes based on the chosen theme
LO1 and L02
D1 Critically evaluate the project management process and appropriate research methodologies applied
P1 Devise project aims and objectives for a chosen scenario.
P2 Produce a project management plan that covers aspects of cost, scope, time, quality, communication, risk and resources.
P3 Produce a work breakdown structure and a Gantt chart to provide timeframes and stages for completion.
M1 Produce a comprehensive project management plan, milestone schedule and project schedule for monitoring and completing the aims and objectives of the project.
LO2 Conduct small-scale research, information gathering and data collection, generating knowledge to support the project
P4 Carry out small-scale research by applying qualitative and quantitative research methods appropriate for meeting project aims and objectives
M2 Evaluate the accuracy and reliability of different research methods applied
LO3 Present the project and communicate appropriate recommendations based on meaningful conclusions drawn from the evidence findings and/or analysis
L03 and LO4
D2 Critically evaluate and reflect on the project outcomes, the decision-making process and changes or developments of the initial project management plan to support justification of recommendations and learning during the project.
P5 Analyse research and data using appropriate tools and techniques
P6 Communicate appropriate recommendations as a result of research and data analysis to draw valid and meaningful conclusions
M3 Evaluate the selection of appropriate tools and techniques for accuracy and authenticity to support and justify recommendations
LO4 Reflect on the value gained from conducting the project and its usefulness to support sustainable organisational performance
P7 Reflect on the value of undertaking the research to meet stated objectives and own learning and performance
M4 Evaluate the value of the project management process and use of quality research to meet stated objectives and support own learning and performance