Unit: 20019J Law and Contract for Construction and the Built Environment
Course title BTEC HND in Quantity Surveying and Construction Cost Management
Unit number and title 20019J-Law and Contract for Construction and the Built Environment
Assignment title :- Legal requirements related to Company Law and Health, Safety & Welfare Law (HS&W Law) in Sri Lanka.
Company Law and Health, Safety & Welfare Law (HS&W Law)relating to Built Environment in Sri Lanka.
Pasan, a sole proprietor is carrying business for construction of homes. He wants to convert
his business into a company, in the form of either:
(i) a public limited company, or
(ii) a private limited company.
However, he has the following main requirements:
- For the moment, he does not want to involve any other parties as owners of the company.
- In the future, he may wish to have a limited number of shareholdersin the company.
Ansell ready mixed concrete (Pvt) Limited is a company which has a factory situated in Peliyagoda suburbs which has received the trade license and Environmental Protection License (EPL) from relevant authorities. Its industrial waste is released to near river that runs closer to the plant. The fume that the factory emits pollutes the air in the region. The people in the area complained to the plant that the wells in the area are contaminated with chemicals. Fume has caused ailments of the lungs of many employees of the plant and they have no welfare benefits and other rights ofemployment.
1. Explain legal status of the companiesand its characteristics in relation to the legislation in Sri Lanka and analyze the decision that Pasan wants to make in terms of his business Scenario 1. (LO3 -3.1)
2. Explain main HSWand employment legislationin UK and how it can be applicableto Ansell ready mixed concrete (Pvt) Ltd for the pollution of the river and the air in the region in the Scenario 2 (LO3 -3.2)
3. Discuss legal obligations to Companies andcompensation on the Public for the given incidents in the Scenario 2. (LO4 -4.1)
The document must be in the form of a word processed report and can incorporate any sketches or diagrams to illustrate the answer. The report must have an introduction, body and summary. The document must contain all references according to the Harvard referencing system.
Describe how company law affects the operation of construction companies
Describe how employment law affects the operation of construction companies
Describe how European legal requirements affect the operation of construction companies