University Centre Colchester
Program: Higher National Certificate/Diploma in Business
Unit Name and Reference: Unit 7 - Business Law - H/617/0736
Assignment Title - Law and the Legal System - Time Based Assessment
Learning Outcomes 1: Explain the nature of the legal system.
Learning Outcomes 2: Illustrate the potential impact of the law on a business.
Assignment Brief and Guidance:
This is an open book exam that has two sections that must be completed.
1. Identify and explain the key sources of law in the UK. How does the EU impact on UK law-making? Your answer must also include an explanation of delegated legislation and why it is used.
2. Outline the government's role in the UK legal system and explain the process for creating new laws in the UK. How is law used and applied in the justice courts? Explain the structure and hierarchy of the courts. Your answer must identify the factors that determine in which courts civil and criminal cases are heard.
1. Define the following areas of law and evaluate how each could potentially affect a /1 business, giving specific examples to support your answer:
• Contract law
• Employment law
• Company law
Do all laws affect a business equally? Analyse how legislation, regulations and standards can affect a business.
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of recent reforms and developments in the UK legal system. Are they useful? Why?
3. Critically evaluate law and the legal system as a whole in the UK. Give examples to support your answer.
|LO1 Explain the nature of the legal system.
|P1 Explain different sources of law
|M1 Evaluate the effectiveness of the legal system in terms of recent reforms and developments.
|LO1 & 2 D1 Provide a coherent and critical evaluation of the legal system and law, with evidence drawn from a range of different relevant examples to support judgements
|P2 Explain the role of government in law-making and how statutory and common law is applied in the justice courts.
|LO2 Illustrate the potential impact of the law on a business.
|P3 Using specific examples illustrate how company, employment and contract law has a potential impact upon business.
|M2 Differentiate between legislation, regulations and standards to analyse potential impacts upon business.